Friday, May 2, 2014

Just Getting Things Figured Out

Hey everyone,

These past few week I have been in contact with my host family. I have been exchanging emails back in forth and have started to get to know them better and better. The more I talk to them, the more I can’t wait for this whole experience to start, as they just seem like an outstanding family. I will be having my first Skype call tomorrow which is both nerve racking and exhilarating at the same time. I have no idea what we will be talking about, nor do I know how good their English really is, so I cannot wait to see what this session is going to yield, and what the future might hold for me. If in case we do not speak English for this session, I have been practicing my German so we can still talk. I am also going to have my white board and my iPad next to me so I can draw pictures or look up something if I need.

For the time that I have been working with AFS, which has been about two and a half months now, they have done an absolutely wonderful job. They have kept me posted on near and far events, made sure I am keeping up on everything that I am supposed to do, and helped me with any questions I have had. When I talk to others about their program, they did not seem to have such as an easy experience as I have had so far, so thank you AFS!

If you have not gotten your host family yet do not stress. AFS does a great job to ensure that your host family will work well with you. They look at your application and compare it to several host families and then make sure the final family is good for you. When you do get your host family information, send them an email as soon as you can. I would recommend sending it in both English and your host country’s language (if you can.) I personally received an email from my host family before I ever sent one, which might have not have been the best thing ever, but it has turned out okay.

As school comes closer to an end, I have begun to stress even more with everything to do.  With School (especially the tests and projects due in the next few weeks), making sure robotics is set to go for next year, making sure I know what I have to do for anything related to scouts, figuring out how credits for school will transfer, keeping updated on AFS, finding time to keep in contact with my host family, finding some way to help my mom with the cost, and maintaining a healthy personal life, I have had a struggle to keeping on top of everything at hand. My main goal right now is to not let anyone down (including myself) as time becomes crucial to me. With that though I also have a goal to have everything related to graduation figured out by the end of the school year, so that way I don’t have to stress over the summer.  By the end of summer I am hoping to knock out at least one of my credits and too be able to have a good conversation in German.

I am also trying to find a club or sport that I can take while on my exchange. This, I hope, will help me to bond with some new friends and stay active in the community. With that said, I need to go to bed. I can’t be late to my first Skype call with my host family!

Again, I will be posting my next blog in two weeks. If you have any questions, or would like me to talk about something in particular, just leave your responses in the comments and I will do my best to cover it in my next blog.

Thanks everyone!

~Michael Steiner

No comments:

Post a Comment