Thursday, June 12, 2014

As of my last blog, I said I was going to post this blog a day early due to scheduling issues. Well apparently some things were canceled so I could post it tomorrow, but I already said I was going to post it today so I'll hold true to my word. Being on summer defiantly impacts me in a multitude of ways from learning to everyday activities and maintaining a healthy life style. Also my first orientation occurred about two weeks ago which was something predictable. Not only did I have my first orientation but also felt a little homesick, at home. As days continue to count down, it becomes more and more exhilarating for the day I leave and get to experience major personal barriers as well as determination issues. 

The orientation was overall something I should have predicted. The majority of it was just a fancy way of covering everything in the packet they gave us. Although I see why they do this, sometimes I wish people would understand that we actually do read the packets and can cover these topics at a quicker pace. However not all of the orientation was going over the packet. After an hour or so we got to split up into students and parents. As for the student group, I got to meet a bunch of exchange students from across Colorado and see where everyone was off to, and some of their concerns. I also loved the different problems that the staff gave us to try to work through. Some of these were pretty easy, others not relevant, and others problems that seemed practical to my situation. For example, "Your mom is reading your diary without your permission and talking with her friends about it. What do you do?" Although it may or may not be one of my issues, it defiantly brought up different situations that might be a concern. The orientation also had a time in which we could ask any questions to previous exchange students/host families. For the whole day it seemed a little long but they did cover some good points, presentations, and scenarios. 

As summer starts to kick into full swing, it has become exceedingly hard to continue learning German and keeping my motivation up to complete tasks. During school it seemed like a break to just sit down and go through a few lessons on Rosetta Stone. Now it feels as though it is a burden to sit down and go through a few lessons. I have a feeling this is partly due to the little amount of activities I have to do over the summer. It is a beneficial that I wish to be active though, this allows me to keep in shape... sort of. Starting next week I will be joining my cross country team in their weekly runs. As for right now I have been practicing handstands which doesn't seem to be very effective. 

This past week realization began to kick in and I felt a little bit of homesickness. I was in my room at 3:00 am and have about 85 days tell I even go on program. It felt as though I didn't have anyone to talk to and that no one understands what I am going through. I felt lost in such a large place, and didn't know where to go. However it didn't stick around a long time and wasn't that bad. I just have to make sure when it happens while I'm in Germany I don't get sucked in and I do everything to help the situation. I just hope it’s not at 3:00 am the next time. 

Right now I am working on a college essay as I will be applying to colleges before I leave, so if you wouldn't mind answering this one question in the comments, "What is a perfect world?" Please also include the state or country you are from. 

That is all I have for you this round. I will be posting my next blog in two weeks and one day so I am back on track. Make sure to look for it on Friday, June 27. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions post them in the comments as well. 



Thanks Everyone,

~Michael Steiner~

1 comment:

  1. "A perfect world"? Well, everyone has their own opinion. Everyone has their own version of "perfect." Flawless, without mistake, without pain, hurt (physically, emotionally and mentally). It all depends on who you ask. though, I have never given it much thought, but, personally, I don't believe in a "perfect" world. I believe that everyone makes mistakes. And that causes flaws and issues. But I also believe that we can own up to those mistakes and be forgiven. I believe it's possible to make the world a better place, but since there is sin in the world, it can never be "perfect".

    Not sure it that answers your question. If not, I'm sorry.

    Colorado.

    ReplyDelete