Sunday, June 7, 2015

Break 'n Berlin

Hey everyone,

Most recently, I have had to opportunity to go to Tübingen and Berlin. While in Berlin, I got to participate in something call the Jugendkongress (kids congress), which was a very new take on the German politics and their difficulties today. In Tübingen, I got to meet up with other exchange students for our end of stay camp, while being able to walk around the town a little. 

On the 15th of May, I headed down to Tübingen to meet up with AFSers from around the area for our last camp together. This time, however, I headed down earlier just to walk around. Looking at everything, from the shopping centers, to local parks, and somehow finding myself on the University, I could feel myself as a part of this city. The river that ran through the city, as the hilliness of town square added a splendid effect to the appearance, an idea came long to me of maybe someday doing a 6-month exchange here in college. I will have to think more about it over time, but it definitely could be a possibility for me. It would allow me to perfect my German, learn a little bit more about Germany and their culture, and visit all my friends and host family again. The good thing is I still have quite a bit of time to think about it though. 

As the day quickly went by, it was time to check in at our hostel. I checked in with AFS and got situated in my room. Not long after did people start showing up. The first day we just went over house rules, and a couple getting to know you games. Each night we just stayed up talking about our experiences, both good, bad, and indifferent, playing games, and just hanging out. Starting the next day we began our "lessons" which we were required to do, such as what all we can take back that we brought. (Hopefully in my case, just about everything because I didn't buy a lot). We also got to open up a letter that we wrote at our first camp. It was kind of weird to read something we wrote at the beginning of this adventure. I could tell I have changed a lot as to how I write things, how I think, and how I react to certain situations. We got to walk around the city a little and buy some ice cream and just play some games. That night I stayed up with some other AFSers while we played games like Truth or Dare and never have I ever. At around 4 am, everyone went to bed, while I took a shower and packed my stuff. At around 5 am, I sent out for the train station to head to Berlin. After waiting around a little, and dosing in and out on the train, I switched to the ICE. The ICE is the fastest and nicest train in Germany. I proceeded to sleep some more on the way up to Berlin. 

After arriving in Berlin, I waited around at the train station until I meet up with some more AFS volunteers/students and headed down to a Boat. For the next 3 nights, we were stuck on this boat sleeping, in the small corridors, rooms, and eating in the fairly small lobby room. Although we never set out on the lake, we did have a good time playing small games on the Boat. During the day though we got to tour around Germany with everyone. We got to see the German Congress, Concentration camp, Alexander platz, the Berlin wall, and a Jewish museum. From Sunday until Wednesday we walked around Berlin just seeing everything, and after only seeing a part of Berlin, I am definitely looking forward to coming back one day. 

On Wednesday began our Jugendkongress. After looking at where and when our workshops would be taking place, we all got in a big room for the opening ceremony. About a couple hundred kids from all across Germany were gathered in this room to learn about German politics and solve given problems that are still problems in Germany and the World today. Over the next few days, I got to see/participate in different activities and excursions such as seeing the Statsi Museum (the "City Security" of east Germany) and Flüchtlingen Museum ("Escapee" of East Germany to West Germany.) The activities I participated in were Team Work, and Leben in Datameer (Life in Data Sea.) In Teamwork, we learned how to work with others and the difficulties we could encounter. In Leben in Datameer, we looked at the impact of technology in our life and how it should play a role in our government and society, with what security measures should be put into place for the protection of the country without going into personal privacy. After a few days of these activities and a little bit more of wondering around, we closed the event with a formal ceremony and then later that evening, a Party for all the participants to dance, drink, and enjoy. On Sunday, we all woke up, had breakfast, said our good byes, and headed off back to our houses and host families. 

As of right now, I am just enjoying myself on my two-week break before school picks back up next week. Thanks again to everyone who has supported me on this adventure, as it has been jam-packed with amazing memories, experiences, and lessons. I hope everyone is enjoying what I have to write and if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please leave them in the comments below!


Thanks Everyone,


~Michael Steiner~



In Tübingen:

Auf dem Neckar 


Die Kirche 


Das alter Rathaus


Lokal Bauernmarkt 


Die Universität





Andere AFS Schüler/in




Berlin:

Brandenburg Gate 


Jüdische Memorial (Kunst)


Berlin Mauer 


East Side Gallery





Präsident von Ost Berlin und Russland. Es was Russisch Kultur für Männer zu Kussen, wann Sie "Hallo" sagen wollte.  


Konzentration Camp





Schlafzimmern 


Aussichtsraum


Arbeitskleidung  


Arztraum 


Überblick von dem Camp 


Bundestag














Festival mit viele verschiedene Verkaufsstanden 


Stasi Museum (Jugendkongress Ausflug) 


Jugendkongress Partei 


Andere AFS Austauschschüler/in  








Fernsehturm


Ein Kirsche von der Krieg

No comments:

Post a Comment